Loading
 
North Park University's Chicago Campus

Campus and Facilities

North Park University's Chicago campus is an island of color on the city's northwest side. The campus has a blend of architectural styles, landscaping, and natural beauty that make it comfortable and inviting for students, employees, and visitors.

Many of the University's building and grounds facilities are available for rental and reservation. They may be used as accommodations for visiting groups, filming locations, and photography sites. Requests for events must be made in writing through this downloadable form. For more information, contact Linda Nyquist by email or by phone at (773) 244-4968.

Old Main

Old Main

Old Main was completed in the fall of 1894. The first building on campus, this Georgian revival structure served as a landmark for early pilots trying to find Orchard Field (today's O'Hare International Airport). Its cupola was then the tallest point on the city's north side.

Gymnasium

Gymnasium

The gymnasium, attached to Carlson Tower, is the home court for Viking basketball and volleyball games, as well as intramural basketball, volleyball, and soccer. Below the gymnasium are classrooms and offices.

Hamming HallHamming Hall

Built in 1915, Hamming Hall was the first athletic facility on campus. It was converted into a chapel then it was again remodeled in 2004. Today it hosts gatherings, dinners, concerts, and other functions.

Viking CafeViking Cafe

Viking Cafe provides soups, salads, sandwiches, and specialty drinks. On-campus and commuter students can relax, study, or watch television here in between classes.

Carlson TowerCarlson Tower

Built in 1967 and named after martyred Covenant missionary Paul Carlson, Carlson Tower is the chief academic building of the University with classrooms, seminar rooms, and faculty offices on its six floors. Wikholm Laboratories on the lower level is devoted to science instruction and research, while the Carlson Art Gallery on the first floor exhibits the artwork of visiting artists, faculty, and students as well as top-end art shows and reviews by the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Reader.

Wilson HallWilson Hall

Built in 1901, Wilson Hall was originally a men's residence hall. In 1940 it was remodeled as a science building, and in 1970 it became the art building, housing a darkroom, ceramics studio, and sculpture studio.

GreenspaceThe "Hump" and Campus Greenspace

The "hump" and campus green space put the "Park" in North Park, and are crowded with students nearly every sunny spring day. There is room enough for football and Frisbee games, studying, or just relaxing. These spaces are also the site for all-campus picnics, concerts, and movies on the big screen.

Student ServicesStudent Services

First constructed in 1924 as the president's home, this facility was converted into the administration building in 1958. Today it houses Student Administrative Services, Residence Life and Housing, the Office of Student Care, Career Planning Services, the Dean of Student Development, the Dean of Academic Affairs, and the Academic Services Office.

CarolineCaroline Hall

Caroline Hall was erected in 1925 by the Covenant Women's Auxiliary and presented to North Park University in June 1931. Originally constructed as a women's residence, it was converted into administrative offices in the early 1960's. Today, it houses the cultural centers, computer services, the B1 computer classroom, and several academic departments.

Nyvall HallNyvall Hall

The only seminary for training clergy in the Evangelical Covenant Church, North Park Theological Seminary makes its home in Nyvall Hall. This building was erected in 1946 and was named in memory of North Park's founder and first president David Nyvall.

The River

The North Branch of the Chicago River flows south through campus. The crew team is building a new dock that will be located on the shore of the North Branch and east of our soccer/track complex.

Soccer/Track Complex

This field is home turf for  the Viking soccer and  track and field teams. It is a shared commodity with the Albany Park neighborhood, so it is not unusual to see youth, middle school, and high school teams practicing or playing games when it is not occupied by North Park.

Holmgren Athletic ComplexHolmgren Athletic Complex

Construction of the Holmgren Athletic Complex, including a facelift for Hedstrand Field, was completed in the fall of 2004. This field has seen great action from the football, baseball, softball, and even soccer teams for night games under the lights. Designed for practice and play in both recreational and intercollegiate uses, it features a state-of-the-art, injury-reducing artificial turf system, new bleachers, and a press box. The complex will soon include a riverside launch for crew.

Magnuson Campus CenterMagnuson Campus Center

Completed in 1966, Magnuson Campus Center sits along the south end of campus and is connected to Anderson Hall by an open-air breezeway. Within the building are conference rooms and classrooms, the dining hall, administrative offices, the campus switchboard, and the Campus Center information desk, which is staffed 24-hours a day by well-trained attendants ready to assist the community with general information regarding North Park and any security matters.

HelwigHelwig Recreation Center

Completed in the fall of 2006 Helwig Recreation Center  houses a state-of-the-art workout facility, 200-meter indoor track, 35-yard practice football turf, basketball and volleyball courts, a climbing wall, coaches' offices, and classroom space.

Brandel LibraryBrandel Library

Opened in 2001, Brandel Library's exterior was designed to complement the older buildings on the campus with a contemporary interior that reflects its urban setting and the modern technology within. It has several small study rooms throughout the building, as well as two "tower rooms" capable of holding larger groups, a student computer lab, and the Writing Center.

Hanson HallHanson Hall

Built in 1946 as the music building, Hanson Hall houses classrooms, offices, practice rooms, and a recital hall. The School of Music offers both vocal and instrumental opportunities for music majors and non-majors.

Anderson ChapelAnderson Chapel

Completed in 1993, Anderson Chapel is used mainly for worship and musical performances. It hosts a weekly campus chapel service on Wednesday mornings during the school year, as well as a weekly College Life worship service coordinated by University Ministries on Sunday nights. Anderson Chapel seats 600 and is home to the 57-rank Magnuson Organ.