Students outside the Center for Student Engagement

Division of Student Engagement

Parent & Family FAQ

Do you have a specific question? Please contact Student Engagement, and we will be glad to find the answer for you.

Students who qualify for work-study as part of their financial aid package will be placed in a job on campus. Paychecks from these jobs can be applied to tuition bills, or can be used to cover other expenses.

Learn more About Work-Study

Students who do not receive work-study, or who need additional work, can pursue a variety of other job opportunities. On-campus student job openings are announced in the campus announcement emails and posted on the student employment website (student login required).

Learn More about employment opportunities

And, thanks to our city location with convenient public transportation, students may also find employment options off campus.

Learn More about Work opportunities

The residence halls are open during the short breaks but are closed during the winter and spring break periods. Residence Life and Housing creates a yearly calendar of opening and closing dates for campus housing, and communicates important dates and announcements through RAs, RDs, and postings across campus.

Yearly Calendar of Opening and Closing

Most students experience some adjustment to college academic work. At the first sign of difficulty, encourage your son or daughter to speak with their instructor and then to contact Student Engagement. Our staff in this office can assist with study skills and time management as well as connect them with tutoring opportunities or other support resources.

Tutoring Resources Other Support Resources

If your student has a diagnosed disability—learning or otherwise—that would benefit from support or accommodations, please read more about the resources we have dedicated to making this possible, and contact our student support specialist with questions.

Disability Resources

There are several offices and people who are prepared to assist in this area, particularly the dean of students, staff in our Counseling Support Services, Residence Life staff, and the campus pastor. Encourage your student to reach out to their RA or RD to start a conversation about what areas would be a good fit for them to get involved.

Counseling Support Services offers both one-time consultations or assessments as well as ongoing support resources for students who need a little extra help in caring for their body, mind, and spirit.

Counseling Support Services

Students should first contact their faculty advisor, the Career Development Office, and/or the coordinator of academic advising in Student Engagement. Remember, for most students, the first year of college is exploratory. Taking a year to decide should not affect timely graduation.

North Park University bills students on a per-semester basis. Bills for the fall semester are issued starting in July, and bills for the spring term start in mid-December. Bills will include all applicable charges, including tuition, housing and food, and course fees. Learn more about billing.

All domestic traditional undergraduate students will automatically be enrolled in a payment plan. Rather than one due date at the start of the term for your entire balance, your student’s balance due will be divided equally into monthly payments for a small fee of $30/semester. Students who are registered on July 1 will have plans that start July 15 and will run through December 15, giving the student six months to pay off the fall charges. However, those students that register later will have shorter plans. If the balance is paid in full by August 15, we will reverse the $30 plan fee. Students with college savings plans will have their fees reversed once their balances are paid in full.

Get more information about the financial aid process and payment arrangement options.

Parents do not receive a copy of student’s grades. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 protects your student’s records, and they must grant permission for others to access their grades, bills, etc. If your son or daughter is financially dependent on you (claimed as a dependent on IRS), you may, on request, examine all student records and documents. Requests should be directed to Office of the Registrar.