Light and Lean Packing List
To allow for an easy, quick, and smooth move-in process, we encourage students to pack light and lean and only bring the necessities. Packing light is also beneficial in the unfortunate event that the state of Illinois would ask students to return home in the middle of the semester and need to finish the semester remotely. We are excited to have an excellent year of being in community and living and learning together.
We recommend discussing with your roommate(s) what each of you will bring to your shared living space. If you choose to bring valuable items (jewelry, computers, etc.) be aware that you bring these items at your own risk; North Park University is not responsible for the possible damage, loss, or theft of these items.
Suggested Items to Bring
- ATM/debit card
- Social security card
- Copy of insurance card
- Phone and charger
- Multiple outlet power strip with surge protector
- Three-prong extension cord
- White plastic adhesive or 3M brand hooks (no nails or tape may be used in residence hall rooms)
- Helpful storage or organizers
- Multiple face coverings
- Prescriptions and refills
- Mini first aid kit
- Blankets and pillow
- Sheets and mattress pad: All campus housing has extra-long mattresses
- Towels and washcloths
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss
- Soap and body wash
- Shower tote and shower sandals
- Hairbrush, hair dryer, flat iron, and comb
- Laundry basket and detergent
- Dryer sheets
- Cleaning supplies and disinfectant
- Sanitizing wipes
- Paper towels
- Air freshener
- Plate, bowl, silverware, coffee mug (microwave safe)
- Pens, pencils, and highlighters
- Index cards
- Sticky notes
- Scissors and tape
- Stapler and staples
- Laptop charger
- Folders and binders
- Calendar and day planner
- Desk supplies (sticky notes, pens, pencils, scissors, ruler, stapler, markers, etc.)
- Winter coat
- Hat, scarf, and mittens
- Beach towel
- Refrigerator that does not exceed four cubic feet in size
- Bicycle and secure lock (“U” locks recommended)
- Lawn chair
- Gaming consoles
- Tool kit
- Room decor
- Dry erase board for your door
- Alarm clock
- Small vacuum or hand vacuum
Things NOT to Bring:
- Air conditioner
- Hot plate or toaster (no open coils)
- Space heater
- Animals/pets (only small fish allowed)
- Halogen lights
- High-intensity light bulbs
- Five-light floor lamp with colored shades
- Real, play, imitation, or decorative weapons (including paintball guns, airsoft guns, and water balloon launchers)
North Park University does not offer storage for belongings over the summer. Please bring only what will fit in your housing assignment during the academic year. You may not leave anything in your room, apartment, or house beyond check-out, even if you are returning to the same location next fall, unless you will live in summer housing. This includes but is not limited to bikes, sofas, dining room tables, electronics, small appliances, and clothing.
To help defray the cost, some residents elect to share a storage unit. You are encouraged to speak with your friends and roommates to find others to potentially share storage.
For off-campus storage, the leases can be month-to-month, some businesses will pick up items in spring and deliver them back to you in the fall, and/or provide you with the packing materials.
This list is for informational purposes only—no endorsement is offered, nor liability assumed by North Park.
This is not an exhaustive list, and you are encouraged to do your own research to determine what facility best meets your needs.
Per the Housing Contract Agreement and Terms, any personal property which remains on the premises for more than ten (10) days following termination of occupancy shall be deemed abandoned, and the University shall be entitled to retain or dispose of such property.
Residence Hall Linens
All campus housing is equipped with extra-long twin mattresses. Visit Residence Hall Linens to view the selection available and purchase items you may need.